Sunday, September 04, 2005

a critique?

haha was reading an entry at e project superstar's forum (under weilian).. really reminds me of a critique (critical thinking!! omg...) e guy who posted e msg was trying to giv rebuttal for e another guy's (weijie) false claims N assumptions made. =X it goes like this...

"To Mark's Classmate, Wei Jie:

Hello.I have a few points to make =)My message is directed to the message you have made on Sat 3-9-2005 8:48:19 PM.By the way my previous name was Rabbit, just wanted you to know. If you would kindly go back (I think about 100 threads from here, haha) I wrote a message about you. Since you have all the time in the world now that the holidays have arrived you should return to the previous posts, and if you are so interested in Wei Lian's threads, why not see everyone of them? On another note, if you should just see every single thread posted you would understand why people like Wei Lian.So, why do people like Wei Lian? It can be presumed that some of the votes may be sympathy votes. The fact is that some people simply think otherwise. I understand a lot of people have said this before, "Wei Lian's voice is touching". Different people view different singers with different perspectives. Sure, a large number of people feel that Kelly's voice is better than Wei Lian's. This includes the judges. However, some people just insist that they like Wei Lian's voice. This is due to their liking of his style. Chuan Yi Fong favours Wei Lian's singing. From this you can already see that everybody has his or her own opinions. It is rather subjective to say that Kelly's voice is better. Yes, her vocals are good, she can dance etc. But Yi Fong herself was almost crying when Wei Lian sang his “走出黑暗的世界吧!朋友”This demonstrates Wei Lian's strength - his ability to connect with his audience through his emotions.My other take on this is that Singapore has its own share of unique talents. A-do is unique in that he possesses the ability to inspire the blue-collared workers. His was a rise from a lower level in the society to a locally acclaimed singer. Jun Jie. I think his voice is different because he sings with a higher voice. He appeals to others also because he can dance pretty well. Stefanie Sun. I guess she was one of the first singers to attract the overseas market. I understand that there are many singers before her that have made their way to the overseas market like Kit Chan (forgive me if I spell her name wrongly I can't seem to remember), but I perceive she was the start of the sudden emergence of many universally acclaimed singers from Singapore.Right, Wei Jie, I can see a suitable way for you to counter this, you can say that Kelly is unique in her own ways. However, shall I point out who is more unique - Kelly or Wei Lian?Actually this is quite subjective, saying that Wei Lian is more unique than Kelly. But this simply brings us back to your argument. You have supported Kelly from the very start, so my son tells me, and I have supported Wei Lian since I first started watching this show. I must once again stress that different people have different opinions. You can't really say that Kelly sings better than Wei Lian (bringing me back to my first point). It depends on the audience's views. You can argue that the judges gave Kelly more marks. However, the purpose of the judges is to judge a contestant by his/her vocals and stage performance. What the audience think may not be what the judges feel. People just like Wei Lian because they find his voice moving.Next, the final results were 64% to 36%. Lets see, if you see people busking, how much do you usually see people giving them? You see them giving 50 cents or so. Do you see people going to great lengths to give them a lot of cash? You don't. Only a rare few would give anything more than $5. Thus, how can you say that most of the votes come from sympathy votes? Typical sympathy voters would just give 1 call to Wei Lian. I don't just give one call. I give many. Why would I want to spend so much cash if I am voting out of sympathy? Judging from the size of Wei Lian's actual fanbase, I can sincerely say that the majority of the votes come from people who really enjoy listening to his performances. I quote from you, "...There was only once when they were supposed to sing old songs in a new fashioned way that Jun Yang had more votes than Wei Lian. Unsurprisingly, in that episode, Jun Yang smashed the record score from the judges, and Wei Lian also had the lowest score in that round. There is no way to explain this phenomenon other than one thing: sympathy votes..."I find this paragraph quite controversial. When Wei Lian acquired the lowest score, and Jun Yang acheived the highest for that round, semi-finals 2, Jun Yang received more votes than Wei Lian. If people vote out of sympathy votes, why didn't Wei Lian win Jun Yang in terms of votes then? You are simply assuming that for all the rounds the audience have been voting out of sympathy. It is easy enough for me to also 'assume' that for that round, Wei Lian fans were disappointed with him and hence, did not vote as much, that's why Jun Yang win.Say, what an unfounded claim of mine! It is but my subjective assumption! But if you say this it also implies that your assumption is also an unfounded assumption! There is no evidence whatsoever that Wei Lian wins Jun Yang because of sympathy votes! It could mean that Wei Lian's fan base is bigger, or people simply found his voice touching etc. It is wrong to accuse Wei Lian that he has been winning due to sympathy votes because you don't have any evidence!No one knows others' reasons for voting. No one can find out why Wei Lian won Kelly. Thus, you are just making an assumption that Wei Lian won Kelly due to sympathy votes. This is, hence, an unbacked claim.And that's why I can also say that all the claims I have previously made may be untrue. This goes back to the main fact - Different people have different opinions. You cannot just accuse Wei Lian of winning from sympathy votes.---------------------A final point to add - please, don't comment on others' grammar if you do not take note of yours! Let me raise a few examples:"Must be too much time on their hands, huh? Get a life…"-It shouldn't be "Must be", it should be "Must have"!"Couldn’t find a staff directory for RGS, and could care less about RV"-Its "couldn't care less about RV"!" If you look upon me this way, so be it. I could care less. "-Same error as above." I don’t think I have particularly rude, so I don’t think you are talking about me. "-It should be "I don't think that I have been particularly rude..."!"Why would the audience vote for a man, when he is obviously worse off than his opponent"-The 'off' in 'worse off' is redundant."I may pop in now and then, keep the rebuttals coming, and try to make good ones."-I think it is punctuation that makes this sentence weird. This is what I think it should be, "I may pop in now and then. Keep the rebuttals coming and try to make good ones."---------------------Other than grammar errors, there are some content errors i.e. you contradict yourself sometimes. Look:"What’s all this cra-oops, can’t say that, it’s RUDE."Now look at this (note the block letters)-"My singing SUCKS"-"However, there is DAMNING evidence of sympathy votes"- "I don’t think Singapore need such (choose your own adjective: stupid/ idiotic/ dumb) people, please, migrate." (no block letters, but isn't this sentence rude?)Another group:"Oh yeah, and please don’t say that I am uneducated when you can’t even spell. Grammar mistakes are rampant too.""Hey, lildevilgirl, let me fix some of your English."The irony lies in the fact that your grammar isn't good either...---------------------Understandably I might have made some mistakes here too. However, just wanted to point out that you should be less critical of others' English. Some people may be typing in a hurry, therefore, they might make a few errors. If you could just stop being analytical of other people's language, I shall stop being analytical of yours too =)(Now this is Mark Goh's thoughts) Okay, now is the time for me to be subjective. *grins* regarding some facts at school...Wei Jie, I wonder who was it that got only 16/25 for his lit when I got 20/25? And lost to me in virtually every assignment and test regarding English?Who was it that was scolded by Sakhar because he plagarised?Who got less than 30/50 for his comprehension? Who acquired only 7 marks upon 25 for his main section?Who barely passed his Reading Portfolio entries, where everybody else is getting 13/15 or so, and I personally got 15/15 for 3 of the responses?Who got 6/10 for half of the sections in oral, whereas I got 8/10, 9/10, 7/10, 8/10?Who was the one who said "pwnz your ass off" (for all those reading this, its true) during his speech that determines whether he would be a house captain? Not only that, who in the right mind would say that "I am Darth Zeidar" during his introductory message?Who was the one that caused his whole team to lose (when they were originally winning!) during our lit debate, by using phrases such as 'pretentious crap' to counter my team's claims? And ended off with "the opposition pwnz your ass off" again!Let me warn you, take note of your own English standard first before you speak ill of others' English. Not that I agree with my mother's opinions, but seriously, take note of YOUR English first =). When I read your message I really wanted to laugh. Sorry for being critical, but seriously... don't talk about others' language errors anymore... "

think that guy is mad.. muz be too free sia.. write such a long "critique" haha. if im not wrong he's in e debate team.. so zai in arguing lol. glad that i duno that guy.. if not he will surely criticise on my "broken" english haha. =X

Posted by *Mu| and ChAng* at 3:18 AM